Skip to Main Content

Housing Support

Male and female student socialising in Portsmouth city centre

Accommodation support for current students

If you are a current student and need support with living or renting student accommodation, we’re here to help. You can contact our College Services team or visit the ICP Reception during our standard opening hours. If you need further help with your query,  check our the advice available for current students on the university website.

Learn More

Studentpad Accommodation

Studentpad is the University of Portsmouth official student accommodation search page. Click here to search for shared houses, flats and lodgings listed in Portsmouth, or to find housing advice from house hunting checklist, to safety advice and contracts.

Learn more

Frequently Asked Questions

What is proof of residency?

This means evidencing where you are currently living in the United Kingdom. Before you can enrol with us, ICP will need to see this evidence. We hold a copy of this information on your file, and you will be expected to update us with any changes to where you are living and if your evidence expires during your time with ICP.

Is your tenancy an assured short hold tenancy?

The vast majority of people who rent from a private landlord in England are assured short hold tenants. You automatically have an assured short hold tenancy if all of the following apply:

  • You moved in on or after 28 February 1997.
  • You pay rent to a private landlord.
  • You have control over your home so that your landlord and other people cannot come in whenever they want to.
  • Your landlord does not live in the same building as you.

What does an assured short hold tenancy involve?

A property contract (AST) involves a legal agreement between a tenant and a landlord and legally requires both parties to fulfil their obligations to each other. For students, this means that once you sign your accommodation contract, you will be legally bound by the terms of the contract. So you must ensure you read all the elements of the contract before you sign.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you understand the legal implications of the contract before you sign.

What rights do you have as an assured short hold tenant?

The law gives you rights to:

  • Get information about your tenancy.
  • Control your home so that you can stop other people from freely entering.
  • Get certain types of repairs done.
  • Live in your accommodation until your landlord gets a court order to evict you.

You may also have other rights, such as to get your landlord to do repairs or to challenge rent increases.

How do you get information about your assured short hold tenancy?

If your tenancy started after 28 February 1997, you have the right to ask your landlord to provide a statement of terms of your tenancy. The following information must be provided:

  • The start date of the tenancy
  • The amount of rent and when you have to pay it
  • How and when the rent may be changed
  • The length of any fixed-term

If you ask for this information, your landlord has to provide it within 28 days.

What repairs are the landlords' responsibilities?

The law says your landlord has to keep the structure and exterior of the property in good repair. This includes:

  • The roof
  • Guttering
  • Walls (but this doesn’t include internal decoration)
  • Windows and doors

Your landlord must also keep the equipment for the supply of gas, electricity, heating, water and sanitation in good repair. Your landlord may have extra responsibilities for repairs, depending on what your tenancy agreement says.

You are responsible for looking after the property. This might include unblocking a sink or changing a fuse when necessary. You may also have other responsibilities depending on what your tenancy agreement says.

Your landlord must have a valid gas safety certificate for any gas appliances in the property. Any furniture provided should be fire resistant.

How do I end the assured short hold tenancy?

If you have a periodic tenancy (which means that the original fixed-term has ended and your tenancy runs from week to week or month to month), you have to give one month’s notice in writing, or longer if you pay your rent less often. The notice should end on the first or last day of the period of a tenancy. Once the notice ends, your tenancy ends and you no longer have any right to live in the property.

If you have a fixed-term tenancy (i.e. for one year), you will only be able to give notice during the fixed-term if your tenancy agreement says it is allowed. The length of notice you have to give depends on what your tenancy agreement says. Please note that most student tenancies in the UK are fixed-term tenancies.

It’s possible to leave on the day your tenancy ends without giving any notice, but this is not usually advisable. It is best to give your landlord notice if you can, especially if you have paid a deposit that should be refunded.

Can other people live with me?

It is sometimes possible for other people to live with you, provided that the owner of the property is made aware and has given you permission to do so.

Need more help?

Contact our accommodation team at or call ICP Reception at +44 (0) 2392 84 8540 and we’ll get you through to the right person to assist with your questions.

Back to Top